shalu wasu | Jul 10, 2012
Sour Grapes? No way!
I see a lot of award bashing all around. Some people are calling them retarded and some have listed down logical reasons why they don’t work well or are unfair. I love advertising awards, having won 2 recently. Here is a list of reasons that would convert the most determined of naysayers.
- Awards provide legitimate reasons for everyone in the agency to get drunk – either to celebrate or to curse the organizers.
- All the bosses fly away to France so the office is more chilled out.
- Only real work is celebrated. Scam ads are just a myth. Nobody makes scam ads. I’ve never seen one.
- Paying out bonuses to the hard working folks is such a retarded idea. Spending millions on award entries is an investment.
- Working on this year’s award entries sharpen your skills – so that you can do a better job for next year’s award entries. Real work? What’s that? Oh! That silly stuff clients pay for…clients are silly – they don’t even know what to pay for.
- All awards are judged fairly. The judges are genuine and any correlation with the numbers of wins going up due to someone from the group chairing the awards or a category is just coincidence. People who say otherwise are just sore losers.
- Agencies that decide not to participate in awards are short sighted and do not care about the glory they can bring to their clients.
- The small agencies that cannot afford to spend the money to participate and fly down dozens of folks for the awards don’t deserve to win. (There is a reason why they are small, right?)
- Effectiveness? What’s that got to do with awards? Oh! You mean how good is your conversion. Yes, how else would you judge the planners?
- Not convinced? Come on! Don’t be a spoilport! Well you don’t need to be – just because you did not win at one award show? There are 39 of them. Everyone wins. I don’t know of any agency that has not won awards.
Can you think of more?
Filed Under: Comment • Featured • Fun • Miscellaneous